Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Independence Day Weekend

Our little family had a great three-day weekend to celebrate the 4th of July. Loren had Friday off so we, along with Heather, went swimming at the former Bountiful Bubble. It was our first time taking Sophie swimming here and I think she really enjoyed it. She especially liked to watch the little kids run around in the pool. That night we set off fireworks with my family in Kaysville. Surprisingly, they didn't wake Sophie up. It was fun, but I think that fireworks, along with parades and many other things and geared more toward little kids. The pleasure for adults must come in watching their children enjoy themselves.

Bright and early the next day my dad, Heather and I got up to run the Kaysville 4th of July race. Heather and I ran the 5K (3.1 miles) and my dad ran the 10K (6.2 miles). My goal was to be under 25 minutes, but I fell just short, finishing in 25:31. On the bright side, I did beat Heather by a minute! Dad finished in 48 minutes (I think) and got second place in his age group. He and I are going to run the 24th of July 5K in Bountiful and hopefully I can achieve my goal time there. After the race Loren and I went to breakfast where Loren was loaded up with 6 pancakes, 2 slices of ham and scrambled and fried eggs. He said he was starving while waiting at the race. We then watched the parade and, later that night, the big fireworks display. Sophie handled the fireworks pretty well, but after a while her curiosity turned into fear so we left a bit early.

Even though all the festivities were fun, the main event for me was on Sunday when Loren was able to bless Sophie. She looked beautiful in her white dress and we even got her shoes and a bonnet to wear as well. She was fascinated by the shoes, but not a big fan of the bonnet. Loren gave her a very sweet blessing and I was so proud of him for all his preparation. My family came to watch and we all celebrated together. The only thing that would have made the day better is if Andy Roddick had been able to beat Roger Federer and win Wimbledon. They battled it out in an epic 5 set match and Roddick just lost. Oh well, I guess you can't have everything.

2 comments:

  1. Erica! I'm glad you started a blog, it's always fun to keep up with friends. I have a blog too, you should check it out (laneellisfamily.blogspot.com). It's been a long time since I've talked to you and it sounds like you are doing well. I'm glad! Stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a great fourth!! You should put up pictures of Sophie in her blessing outfit! I think they are always so cute

    ReplyDelete