Monday, July 5, 2010

Castle Island

We took an afternoon trip to Castle Island and Fort Independence in June. It's great to live so close to the ocean and it was my first time going to a beach in Massachusetts. I guess I forgot where we were because I was fully anticipating getting in the water and playing in the waves. Wrong! The beach was kind of rocky and the water, of course, was freezing! Sophie was deterred at first, but gradually warmed up to splashing around and ended up having a great time. After our fun in the sun was over, we went to a family-run hamburger joint there and had a yummy, unhealthy dinner. It was a good outing!

Us with the fort in the background. We couldn't go in because they only give tours on Saturdays. John Adams christened it Fort Independence, changing the name from Castle William. This was where colonial governors came to hide out when condition in Boston were thought to be unfavorable or dangerous.


Sophie loved looking at the water. She would have tried to jump in if we had let her.

Logan Airport, practically in the ocean





After a while she got sand on herself, so I filled one of the cups up with water and washed her off. She then repeated that over and over, splashing cold water (and more sand) on herself :)

2 comments:

  1. Cute!!! Now come back so I can hang out with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erica! I can't believe how big Sophie is. I love seeing your pictures and what you've been up to lately. Call next time you're in town.

    ReplyDelete