Thursday, April 24, 2014

Siebel Scholars in San Francisco

I had forgotten, but it looks like I had this post halfway done before I abandoned the blog last year.  Since I already did the hard part, aka uploading the pictures, I'll share it just for kicks.

Loren had a conference in October [2012] for a scholarship he received his senior year.  It's called the Siebel Scholarship and is awarded to computer science and business majors at select schools.  Every year they have a conference.  The year you receive the scholarship, the Siebel Foundation also pays for you to attend the conference, so Loren went to Washington D.C. for the 2011 conference.  He wanted to go again the following year, so we headed off to San Francisco for a long weekend.  Shout out to my cousin Stephanie for watching Sophie!

Our designated conference hotel, the Claremont Resort.  Pretty fancy!

View of S.F. Bay from the hotel


It was certainly fun to go on a childless trip.  Unfortunately the bulk of the conference events were only for the Scholars, not their guests.  That meant I got in some quality time wandering around the town of Berkeley (as sketchy as you'd imagine) and the UC Berkeley campus (nice, but not as great as Stanford! ;)).

I was invited to the opening reception, where Condoleezza Rice was the featured speaker



The other event I was able to attend was a cruise around the Bay on Saturday night

Our cruisin' ship, the San Francisco Belle

The Bay Bridge

A couple more shots of our lodgings


On Sunday we had a few hours before our flight, so we trudged wandered around San Francisco before heading to the airport.



The 2013 conference ended up being cancelled, so who knows, maybe we'll go back this year.  Depending on the location, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment